Providing FDI advisory to the Japanese GovernmentGlobal Markets & Policy
Turner Harris was commissioned to act for JETRO – The Japanese External Trade Organisation to advise businesses with an interest in the Japanese energy market on market conditions, investment opportunities, and to advise on the most competitive entry strategy for their business.
JETRO, or the Japan External Trade Organization, is a government organization that works to promote mutual trade and investment between Japan and the rest of the world. An arm of the Ministry for Environment Trade and Industry, they provide a portfolio of services to support non-Japanese firms interested in foreign direct investment.
JETRO recognised that many organisations looking for their assistance, needed specific guidance on sector-specific market & policy conditions in Japan, as well as support developing their entry plans, before they were able to commit to investment.
JETRO engaged Turner Harris as a strategic consultant with expertise in the energy sector to support their clients in the EU and UK – helping to address their strategic, financial, operational and commercial business cases for Japanese investment.
Turner Harris was brought in to act as strategic consultant for JETRO’s clients in the energy sector. Working alongside JETRO and the Japanese government, we engaged with a broad range of European businesses both large and small, seeking to secure business and long-term positions in the Japanese market.
We accomplished this through:
- Offering sector and industry-specific insight into the Japanese energy market and related policy landscape;
- Facilitating discussions between corporate clients and Japanese Government stakeholders;
- Identifying and advising on the level of support that JETRO, and regional Japanese government could provide by way of subsidy, tax incentives, matched funding for investment, and in the identification of potential Japanese partners or suppliers;
- Supporting companies in devising and implementing strategies for entry and growth.
- Reviewing investment plans and business cases to help organisations secure corporate support for investment.
Through this contract, Turner Harris has advised a broad range of businesses across Europe, from SME to MNC on leveraging the support provided by JETRO to establish an effective position in-country, and in providing targeted, sector-specific, up-to-date insights into the Japanese market.
- Supporting a well-known solar power developer understand the effect of FiT policy changes on their position in Japan;
- Guiding a Multinational engineering services company in diversifying their service offering to the Japanese market.
- Advising a Venture Capital-backed energy storage startup on approaches to government lobbying and government stakeholder management.